[explorers] is a science fiction pen & paper roleplaying game. Within that subset, it is
cooperativeAll players work together, as part of a team.
modularIndividual adventures (called "missions") are largely isolated from each other, making it easy to join a group or deal with people leaving as well as missing a few evenings.
narrativeThe game is focussed on telling a good story, so game mechanics are straightforward and reward good playing over micro-management.
[explorers] is set in the far future, with mankind having settled many thousands of solar systems. Technology is so advanced that even space travel is a thing of the past, with planet-to-planet teleport transport the norm.
Against this background, the players take on the role of explorers, human clones sent as first teams to newly discovered planets where they will face the local environment, with its natural dangers and local wildlife (if any) as well as possible aliens or even forgotten human colonies.
There are a number of unique or rare features in the game that set it apart from most other RPGs.
- Simple, yet versatile, award-winning dice mechanics
- Strong focus on teamplay and positive interaction
- Character clone mechanics allows for more player death without the frustration
- Unique "equipment cards" system makes the handling of weapons, armor and other equipment easy and fun instead of the usual administrative overhead.
- Interactive iBooks rulebook with built-in tools, multimedia and carefully interlinked glossary